The toxic fungus that is black mold can be potentially deadly to anyone who is susceptible to it. It travels easily on the air and once inhaled into someone’s lungs it can cause severe breathing issues, blood-borne toxicity and other physical problems that could be fatal if not treated properly.
Anyone with an already weakened immune system should stay well away from mold and under no circumstances should attempt to clean it up. A professional mold remediation company is your best bet to make sure that you have gotten rid of all the mold.
These are a few things you should know about testing your home and office for this deadly mold.
- Signs of black mold
If you have a persistent water leak behind a wall or you detect a musty smell and cannot find where its coming from you may want to call in a professional to test for black mold. If you can actually see the mold do not approach it and by no means breathe it in.
- Home testing kits
You can purchase a home testing kit at stores such as home depot. Some will give you the result right then and there and some of them will ask you to mail in the sample that you’ve taken and the result will come afterwards. It’s worth noting that these kits are easy to use but not as accurate as professional testing.
- Professional inspection
While you can do it yourself it is highly recommended that professional mold removal experts have a look at your home or office for the presence of black mold. They have training and experience on their side when it comes to detecting mold.
Of all the rooms in your home the bathroom has the most contact with water. Its hot and humid and an inadvertent spill can cause water to seep everywhere. Its important to clean up any excess water right away as mold can form very quickly and if found you should contact a water damage restoration company right away. Follow these simple steps for finding water damage in and mold in your bathrooms
- Check areas that are commonly damp
Areas such as under the sink, the corners of bathtubs and showers, shower curtains and the caulking in a tiled floor are susceptible to water damage. If you have had water damage previously be extra vigilant.
- Checking your flooring
Tiled, carpeted and wooden floors are all in danger of water damage. If your feel your floor lifting under your feet or feel that it is particularly damp it is time to call in a professional. Also look out for a sour rotting smell.
- Check your ceilings and walls
Small corners and crevices are perfect places for mold to form. Check the comers of your bathroom to make sure none has begun to grow.
- Use your nose
Never ignore any smells like musty, rotting, earthy and sour smells in your bathroom. If a smell like this is present then it is a sign that water damage has lead to mold and the longer you leave it the worse it will get.
- Check again!
Don t just look once every 6 months! If you suspect water damage then you should check for it regularly. You should look very keenly at any area that has suffered damage before as water may have got at it again.